29 January 2007

Bishop Hart

For those who get the title of this entry... Yes, on Saturday (27th) I was called to serve as the bishop of the Sitka Ward. By Sunday afternoon I had picked 2 councilors, been set apart and had a big head ache. Oh, I had also removed my beard... see other post.

For those not familiar with the LDS way of doing things, let me give a bit of explanation. We believe that God has a prophet on earth. At this time it is Gordon B. Hinkley. He is the president of the Church. He along with 2 councilors make up the First Presidency of the Church. On the local level we have wards, which are units covering a specific geographical area. Here the Sitka Ward includes all of Sitka. In Utah a ward might be 3 blocks long and 3 blocks wide. In each ward there is a bishopric consisting of the bishop (ie, me now) and 2 councilors. Bigger than the ward is a level referred to as the Stake. This is a group of wards...5-10. Here the Juneau Alaska Stake covers all of the south east from Yakutat to Whitehorse, BC to Wrangell and Petersburg. There is a Stake President with 2 councilors in the Presidency.

All of these positions are non-paid. As a bishop I could spend 20 to 40 hours taking care of church related matters. We don't ask for this opportunity; we are "called". This calling is accomplished by inspiration/revelation to the Stake President and to the First Presidency. I am asked to fill this calling. I have the chance to say no. However, in the Church we as members have a commitment to use our faith in Christ to serve in any way we can. Most bishops serve for a period that can range from 3-6 years. The leadership of the ward or stake comes from the local members, so the former bishop will continue to attend and serve in another way. One of my councilors is also another former bishop who has been serving as scoutmaster.

This is a scary thing to have come to you, but with the support of Lori, the local members, the stake leaders, and the guidance of the Church authorities, I will learn the ropes and do the best job I can. Any questions please ask.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home