07 September 2006

Wind Up Your Radios.....!!! The Doctor is IN!!

Yes, it is time for the Dr. Demento Show... In 1972 I was introduced to the good doctor by a friend I'll refer to only as Ronchardson. This intro happened to occur during a LDS Seminary trip to the southern deseret in California while following the route of the Mormon Battalion into San Diego. The silly/gross/"suggestive"/political/semi-religous nature of the song drove our teachers crazy... One in particular dubbed my friend Ronchardson and me Ronchard.
The Dr. Demento started playing comedy and novelty records from a early as 1910 in at least 1970 and soon moved to KMET radio in Los Angeles. It was a 4 hour show on Sunday evenings... 6-10, 5-9, 7-11... The time could vary from year to year. Ronchardson had access to his brother's top of the line(at the time) quad stereo with reel to reel tape deck. We would record the whole show on slow speed and come back during the week and edit what songs we liked. I still have some of those original casettes.
I was introduced to Spike Jones, Allan Sherman, Stan Freberg, Groucho Marx, Phil Silvers, Tom Lehrer, Mel Brooks, Monty Python , Weird Al to mention a few. In addition I had a place to hear more common comedy tunes from Cheech and Chong, George Carlin, David Seville, Bill Cosby, etc.
Thank goodness the morals of the time required some words to be bleeped. Some of the songs played now aren't so lucky... Ronchardson and I were always picky as to what we would and wouldn't listen to.
Lines from these songs became catch phrases in our communication... Like my family now does with lines from movies we like.
I spent many hours in my room listening to the Doctor, yet it was productive time. I did a lot of organizing and cleaning of my room in those 4 hours.
Dear Ronchardson is now a respected psychologist and lecturer and I am a humble optometrist. However, we still love a great funny/dumb recording and have both passed this strangeness to our kids.
So if you ask me if I have read the Hobbit the first thing that will pop into my mind is an image of Leonard Nimoy/Mr. Spock in a very cheesey 60's music video singing about Bilbo. If I meet someone named Sarah I will wonder if she has ever cleaned her house. Every time we clean out the frig and before anything gets dumped we always say, "we're ONLY going to throw it away!!". Just so you know... I believe that the most famous intersection in Los Angeles...or the world for that matter... is Pico and Sepulveda. I'm always careful with garden hoses and toilet seats. I didn't name any of my boys Sue. I don't want to be the 143rd fastest gun in the west. I know that the Danube is really green. I'm afraid of cockroaches in Ohio. I always bet on Beetlebaum. Being my own grandpa doesn't appeal to me. Dr. Pepper is my favorite, but Moon Pies are only OK. I am not that kind of lumberjack. My sons are not vampires. Nixon was the one. I would never buy a parrot that didn't move. I like the Beatles. I DON'T LIKE SPAM!!!! The Thing is worse than Jumanji. I will always have tests done if I have 2 bunnies. I know Who is on First. And I always try and not hurt the ones I love.
If anyone would like an explaination of any of this please let me know. However, realize by asking I will have to consider you warped and DEMENTED!!

And Don't Forget to Staaaaay Deeeemented!!!!!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home