23 May 2008

Good-Bye to the Old Fart-Dick Hart 1930-2008

As many of you know my dad Richard Harold/ Dick/ Spaz passed away on 9 May 2008. He had been dealing with Alzhiemer's for many years and had been in a nursing home since last summer.
I saw him last Sept and he was still able to walk around, but when we saw him in March he was wasting away fast. The good thing about Alzhiemer's is that the person afflicted probably has no clue as to what is going on. The care givers, ie, my mom are the one's that really struggle. For both of them this passing into the next life is a blessing for both of my parents.
The services were held on 17 May.
It was a good day for all of us, especially Mom. She got to see just how well liked Dad was and how much she is loved. Lori and I were able to attend after cancelling part of our vacation to get there. Anneka and Samantha flew down from Idaho. My brothers came in from Utah and Seattle. My cousin Mathew flew out from North Carolina. Friends came from northern California and Utah. Mom was pretty amazed with the response.
We were able to get a military color guard to present a flag to Mom and play taps. It was really cool. Anneka kept a promise she made long ago, by playing
"Take Me Out to the Ballgame" at the luncheon. We also sang the Navy Hymn although most of us just muttered random words since we didn't know anything but the tune. My sister- in-law Laurie sang during the service and she played with Anneka.. playing cello.
For all those who knew
Dad knew that although he was a grouch and very loud, he was a big softy inside and we loved him all the more.
I feel very lucky to have had my dad around for so long. I love him and will miss him, but I'm so glad he is free of his failed body and can now enjoy his time in the spirt world while he waits the Resurrection. Till we meet again Dad, Love you.

1 Comments:

At 21:01, Blogger Katie said...

My condolences, although I have not lost either parent yet, I did watch my grandpa die. It is a huge relief when a loved one stops suffering.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home